Medieval and Modern Glassware from the Dominican Monastery in Opava
Soňa Králová – Kateřina Vaďurová
The aim of this paper is to present a rich collection of medieval and modern glassware obtained duringmany years of research into the Dominican Monastery in Opava, which was carried out by the Silesian Museum under the leadership of Vlasta Šikulová. Medieval glassware is represented mainly by finds from layers and buildings buried in connection with the construction of the monastery and by stained glass, which adorned the windows of the church of St. Wenceslas. The set of modern glassware, consisting mainly of hanging oil lamps and other discarded liturgical utensils, stands out significantly, in terms of its quantity, over other archaeological finds of glassware from church buildings published so far.
A Tile with the Motif of the Crowned Assumpta and Baby Jesus from Ostrava
The article is based on a photograph of a tile from 15th/16th century, which was taken in 1943 and is now stored in the photo archive of the Silesian Museum. The iconography as well as the possible production and situational context of the object, which is probably missing today, are evaluated.
Contribution to Recognition of Construction Development and History of the Town House no. 210 in Ostrožná Street no. 8 in Opava
The subject of the study is the interpretation of the construction development and history of the municipal house no. 210, situated in the historical centre of Opava. Text presents facts about development phases of the construction of the building from the Renaissance period, Baroque and Classicism periods until the historicizing period in the 19th century. The clarification of the context of some degradation changes of the building and the yard buildings in the 20th century is also part of this text. The modifications are put into context not only with the owners and the builders implementing them, but also in the context of contemporary architectural culture of the wider region.
Housing Development of Karlova Studánka in the Second Half of the 19th and at the Beginning
The study deals with the architectural and urban development of the spa complex in Karlova Studánka in the second half of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century. Based on a detailed survey of archival sources stored in the Land Archive in Opava, it looks at the process of transformation of this spa in a broader scope; it does not only notice the architects themselves and the stylistic changes in the buildings, but it also examines the role of the individual components of the administrative apparatus of the Order of the Teutonic Knights. There are two basic periods in the development of Karlova Studánka: 1) from the 1850s to the 1880s; 2) from the 1890s until 1918. The study is published as a serial comprising three parts.
History of Steel Bottle Production in Vítkovice. – Part I: From the Beginning of the Production to the End of World War II.
The text presented is the first part of a three-part series, which aims to acquaint the reader with the history of the production of pressure steel cylinders in the Vítkovice Ironworks. Based on excerpts from the company‘s archive sources, the study reconstructs the production of bottles from the first written mentions at the beginning of the 20th century, through the rapid inter-war development to the specific period of Nazi occupation.